The first SMS was sent by British engineer Neil Papworth more than 20 years ago! And the world hasn’t been the same since. Even though ‘free’ and more convenient alternatives like WhatsApp and Viber have now taken over the market, nothing beats a good old SMS to convey urgency and intention.
A little over 150 billion SMS are sent out every year. And often these messages contain important information that if lost can cause problems for the recipient. Instant Messaging services are known to ‘back-up’ data without human intervention, but the traditional SMS channel offers no such safety net. If a thread of messages is deleted by mistake, it instantly becomes inaccessible to users.
Fear Not! There is a Way Out:
Deleted files and messages do not disappear into thin air. They are stored in temporary caches and are eventually overwritten by newer information. And this is where the magic of Dr. Fone for Android is useful. It is a data recovery program that can reinstate critical content back to a smart device without the user requiring any technical expertise whatsoever!
Get Prepared to Recover Deleted SMS Android:
Recovery is initiated through scanning. Before diving into the process, a user must keep three things in mind:
- The use of the device is to be stopped as soon as data loss is detected. The sooner Dr. Fone can access what is to be retrieved, the better the chances of complete and successful recovery. If the information is overwritten, it can truly be lost forever.
- The scanning must be initiated with at least 20% charge in the device’s battery to ensure a glitch-free run.
- The device has to be in the USB Debugging mode. This allows Dr. Fone unrestricted and deep entry into the set-up of the Android OS. Users can simply follow the sequence given below:
- Choose the Settings icon under the Applications tab
- Scroll down to reach Developers’ Options
- Tap the checkbox next to USB Debugging to activate it
If this sounds complicated, a screen with the necessary steps to reach the USB Debugging option for various operating systems is provided.
Step 1: Connect your Device to a PC/Laptop
Upon launching, this is the screen that greets users. It encourages them to connect their Android device, from which data recovery is required, to the PC/laptop where Dr. Fone is installed. This is the first of a three-milestone process that preps the phone and its data for retrieval.
(The progress of the milestones can be tracked on the blue bar found on top.)
Step 2: Allow Dr. Fone to Identify the Device
Dr. Fone supports thousands of device models and makes, and this step helps it to ascertain the phone’s vital information.
If USB Debugging is already in action, the identification starts right away. Proceed to the next phase of recovery by clicking the ‘Next’ button.
Repeat users may also have to ‘Allow’ the Superuser Authorization request that pops up on their device.
Step 3: Choose the Data Type and Scan Mode
Dr. Fone can retrieve myriad data types from a device. This is the reason why users are encouraged to choose only what is relevant to them. It saves time and processing power. In this case, only the checkbox next to Messaging should be ticked, since the aim of the tutorial is to recover deleted SMS Android.
Clicking ‘Next’ brings up the Scan Mode page. If the user wishes to retrieve only deleted files, the best option is to Scan for Deleted Files under the Standard Mode. The Advanced Mode is for more tech savvy users and should be left as is.
Hitting ‘Next’ initiates the ‘root application’.
Step 4: Dr. Fone Applies a Root to the Device
Applying a root allows the program to perform a deep search on your device and bring up deleted files without violating the warranty. In the process, it will show available data like the Device Name, Device Type and Device Version.
It is important to take note of the information displayed on the page. It reinforces the rule of connecting the device to Dr. Fone as fast as possible to allow the software to work its full potential.
Step 5: Choose the SMS to Recover
When the root application ends, Dr. Fone starts the actual scan.
The user is informed of the remaining time to scan completion. Moreover, the flexibility to ‘pause’ or ‘stop’ the process and recover important items on the fly is also present.
Once the scanning ends, Dr. Fone displays a directory of options wherein each node pertains to one data type. This directory lists only the types that are selected back in Step 3.
Users can perform a number of actions here. They can:
- Pick individual messages to recover by ticking the checkbox next to them.
- Select all the available messages by checking the master checkbox on the left.
- Search for specific messages using the search bar located at the upper right.
- Make use of the ON/OFF slider to only show deleted items.
Once the data to be restored has been selected, clicking on Recover pulls up a dialogue box where you can specify the exact location to save the recovered SMS.
And you are done!
It really is that simple and convenient. To recap the whole sequence:
- Connect the Android device to a computer that has Dr. Fone installed on it.
- Let Dr. Fone identify the device.
- Choose the type of data you wish to recover and specify a scan mode.
- Allow one-click root to be applied and analyze the device information.
- Select and recover individual items needed.